Tuesday, November 13, 2007

God Risks Trusting Us With Freedom!

Ever since Jesus announced: "You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free," people have been attempting to explain away his remark. Some suggest what Jesus meant is that we are free not to sin. This is true--we are free not to sin. And we are also free to sin.

Perhaps the radical truth of freedom in Christ sometimes makes us frightened of freedom. It feels like a wild freedom that would allow a person to choose right or wrong, good or bad, this way or that way.

Freedom in Christ is a "wild freedom" that opens to each of us the option to run toward Christ or away from Christ. Freedom in Christ means I am free from everyone else's definition of freedom for me. In relationship with Christ and because I am free in Christ, I receive a freedom where I only answer to him. Being free in Christ means I am free from the concerns of others that I might not use my freedom in constructive and correct ways.

Freedom in Christ is clearly about being alive in the Holy Spirit and seeking to know and follow God's precepts. Saint Paul said: "And where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom" (2 Corinthians 3:17). The Psalmist stated: "I will walk about in freedom, for I have sought out your precepts." When we intention and seek to follow God's commands and to be spiritually alive in God's Spirit, we are set free to roam in the wide open spaces of God's limitless love!

God's Word teaches that God trusts us with freedom, even though we might not always be able to fully handle this wildly powerful privilege. God trusts us with freedom even though we will sometimes mis-use this precious gift.

God lovingly chooses to provide for us the Holy Spirit's intimate presence to guide and inspire our choices, and God gives us commands and precepts to define a righteous use of freedom. But God always takes the "risk" of preserving our most important freedom--the personal freedom of choice he has graciously given to you and me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me of the great value God places on our personal freedom. I want to use it more responsibly!

Anonymous said...

Duff--good thoughts--I can tell your theology of personal choice is more in line with the Arminian perspective than the Calvinist view. What if God only provided personal freedom of choice to some people but not all?

Justin said...

You are funny man. Great thoughts though.