Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A God-intoxicated Life

Thomas Kelly in his spiritual inner-life classic, "A Testament of Devotion" shares about his journey into a "God-intoxicated life." Through much personal struggle in life's crucible of failure and pain, he came to the experience of "arising to gently float in the grace of God with a simple childlike obedience and trust."

Richard Foster writes about Kelly's heartache and pain relating to two major life experiences. The first was his failure of the oral examination to complete the Ph.D at Harvard. Kelly was rejected for the Ph.D with no opportunity of reconsideration. He had pursued this second doctorate at great personal cost, both financially and physically (he had previously earned a Ph.D in philosophy from Hartford Theological Seminary).

The second experience came in the summer of 1938 when Kelly went to Hitler's Germany. Sharing in the suffering of the German people immeasurably deepened his heart. He reported that during this experience he had been "literally melted down by the love of God."

Later he told several close students of a particular experience in the great cathedral at Cologne where, on his knees, he seemed to feel God laying upon his heart the whole congealed suffering of humanity--a burden too terrible to be borne--andyet somehow bearable with God's help.

These two experiences brought enormous power to Kelly's writing in the final years of his life.

His pursuit of the "God-intoxicated life" led him to venturing into the inner sanctuary of the soul, where God meets each individual in a profoundly intimate way. He called this a journey to "Love at the center." He wrote: "In awful solemnity the Holy One is over all and in all, exquisitely loving, infinitely patient, tenderly smiling. Marks of glory are upon all things, and the marks are cruciform and blood-stained. And one sighs, like the convinced Thomas of old, 'My Lord and my God' (John 20:28)."

He equated this inner encounter with God with Paul's experience when he wrote, "The life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God" (Galatians 2:20).

The next step Kelly took was a conscious emptying of self into God, and receiving God's in-filling. "In glad, amazed humility we cast on Him our little lives in trusting obedience, in erect, serene, and smiling joy. And we say, with the writer of Psalms, 'Lo, I come: in the book of the law it is written of me, I delight to do thy will, O my God' (40:7-8)." Our attitude becomes one of being ready to run and not be weary and to walk and not faint.

Kelly observed that "The Hound of Heaven is on our track, the God of Love is wooing us to His Holy life." He discovered that holy obedience is beginning where we presently are. Obeying now. "Use what little obedience you are capable of, even if it be like a grain of mustard seed." Begin where you are--live this present moment in utter submission and openness toward God.

I enjoy Kelly's practical suggestion in learning holy obedience: "Don't grit your teeth and clench your fists and say, 'I will! I will!' Relax. Take hands off. Submit yourself to God."

May our experiences of personal failure, brokenness and struggle be useful fodder for spiritual growth in an empowered, intimate, peaceful submission to God. The spiritual gift of holy obedience--childlike obedience and trust--will bring deep beauty and satisfaction to life during our earthly pilgrimage. Here's to living a "God-intoxicated life!"

Blessings and love,

Duff

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/05/27/iraq-soldier-discusses-hi_n_103698.html

You recently stated that “I see you have a struggle with the war in Iraq”.

Please view the above link about what is happening inside Iraq from several soldier’s perspective not the corporate media in America. Please note there are several other soldiers on the speaker stage with him shaking their heads yes to his statements.

Should not all Americans including preachers and Christians have a struggle with this war in Iraq? There is no doubt in my mind that 80% of the people that attend your services support this war in Iraq. Please do not ask. Too risky for you to ask. Trust me.

It appears that most that support this war in Iraq are Christians. People that profess to be followers of Jesus a man that taught peace and love and was put to death for those beliefs. As he would be today if he came back to America by of all people; the Christians.

You have no idea that if Jesus walked into your church one Sunday and preached what he preached 2000 years ago he would be ran out of your church by your elders. Guaranteed. Love your enemies. Give unto Rome what is Rome’s. The meek shall inherit the earth. It is easier for a camel to go through a head of a needle etc. carry a soldiers pack etc. turn the other cheek, etc. Not as I have heard many Christians state “better to kill them over there then over here”.

The very people that you stand up and preach to every Sunday are the very people that support this insane war. Their popular mantra: kill them over there rather than over here. I saw the same thing with Vietnam and communism. Identical. Please please please tell me what is Christian about that? Please.

Should not the Christians be the least of the warmongers rather than make statements as preacher Parsley from Ohio did that America was created to kill Muslims.

Best to you preacher. For me I will pass calling myself a Christian but a follower of Jesus oh yes a thousand times yes. I have never met a preacher that truly understood what Jesus was about. He was as new age as you can get. Period. Who did Jesus have the most problems with in his day? The religious folks. Go figure. Not much has changed has it?

Please do not feel a need to post this, as your elders would make you take it off. Guaranteed. Forgive me for my judgmental attitude but I have watched my beloved country become a warmonger nation and I have seen first hand the grief these wars for profits cause. It is not your beloved country so you cannot possibly understand that.

Here is my email address if you so desire to respond. Best to you. This is not a comment against you but the very religion most call Christianity.

researcherseeker@yahoo.com

If you only want those that agree with you on your blog let me know and I will not give any further comments to your blog.

I am using your blog to get some things off my chest so to speak. lucky you right. best to you. dave.

Tony Janes said...

Hey Dave,

Thanks for utilizing my blog to speak freely your convictions about the challenges Christians face in reconciling support for government policies with following the example of Christ.

You speak prophetically and your passion and heart come through clearly. I want you to know that you and your views are respected by me and that our congregation would open their arms to you should you ever choose to come worship with us.

As I've mentioned before, I feel strongly that we cannot expect the democracy in which we live to adhere fully to Christlike standards. I think the church and the state must be kept separate, although the church is called to influence and "leaven" the political and cultural processes in which we find ourselves. Our congregation has a diversity of political viewpoint that is quite broad and might surprise you! We're ocnservative in many ways, but also open and loving and gracous and peaceable. And some of us are "liberal" on the theological and/or political spectrum. We thrive on our diversity and find oneness in our wholehearted adherence to Christ.

By the way, I fully agree with your emphasis on being a follower of Christ. I prefer that designation for myself also.

I will email you "on the side" as you have invited me to so that we can continue our dialogue one-on-one. I'm honored for your interaction with me and our congregation.

Blessings our friend!

Duff

Tony Janes said...

Thanks Dave for interacting and sharing your heartfelt convictions, questions and frustrations in this forum.

I pray that you will not lose your inner peace.

I look forward to continued dialogue with you (an others--where are they?!!).

Blessings my friend,

Duff